Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Holding On: Prayer, Pictures, and Special K

Please be praying for my family right now.
My grandpa's in the hospital because of congestive heart failure. He went in last Thursday, but we only found out on Saturday. He wasn't supposed to survive past Sunday. But yesterday they moved him out of ICU. Now the doctors are saying he'll only be alive for about 3-6 months and he has to either go to a convalescent hospital or my abuelita has to take care of him at home. He wants the second one. The only problem with that is that my abuelita can barely care for herself. So, we're praying about what to do about that situation. We may be moving them all out here with us. My abuelito, my abuelita, and my (great) tia. My mom left town on Monday morning at 3:30 a.m. to fly to Texas (with my baby brother) to help my grandma (abuelita). My grandparents are both in their 80s and their English isn't what it use to be-so until my mom arrived on Monday, there was a little bit of a language barrier. [See, my half Mexican side comes from them. :)] Anyway, my mom was only supposed to be gone for 3 weeks. Nothing's official yet, but she'll probably be gone a bit longer than that. Which means I am "Sissy"/Mommy...and my sisters(7 and 8-almost 9) and my dad miss my mom. A lot.
On Monday, I took a day off of work so I could be available to pick up my sisters from school and surprise them by taking them to see High School Musical 3: Senior Year.
<-- They loved it!

Their Sharpay impressions -->


I have a lot I'm praying about and trying to figure out too. This kind of came as a shock. I was planning on finshing this semester at the local junior college, moving out mid-December and starting internship at my church in January. But I don't think any of that is going to happen right now. It'll all probably be delayed until further notice. I'm going to try to get an appointment with a counselor at my school to see what I can work out with my classes and finals-if anything...but being "mom" means I don't know what I'll be able to do for them. And financially, moving out now isn't an option. My parents are going to be depending on my rent check now more than ever (never thought I'd see the day)...and they need my help/moral support. So maybe I'll be able to move out/start internship next fall...?
I don't know...All I know is that God's in control. And Jeremiah 29:11, 2 Corinthians 5:7, Isaiah 41:10, and Isaiah 40:31. But, aside from the fact that you're praying for us, I think that's all I need to know. God promised me He has a plan for me. That He'll strengthen, help, and hold me. So I'm going to hold onto that and walk by faith, not by sight. It doesn't mean I won't get overwhelmed or upset at times-I'm human. But I know that God will be there when I do feel that way. I know He'll be there no matter what.
<-- I took this pic on Saturday, just a few hours after I found out about my abuelito. Ironic that it was right over the hospital... but God couldn't have chosen a more perfect time to remind me that I'm never alone.
On a lighter note:
If you thought I was kidding about being obsessed with taking pictures of the sky during this time of year/kind of weather...I strongly urge you to take off your socks. They're about to be blown off. I took 31 pictures of just the sky in 2 days time. This while I was supposed to be either driving or taking pictures of the family get-together we just had for Thanksgiving/Christmas...what can I say? ;p
On an even lighter note:
I have a question. Do you like Special K cereal with the strawberries? Every time I pour it into my bowl, I ask myself this question: Do I want to pick through and get rid of the strawberries, or do I want to eat them? Don't get me wrong, I love strawberries. Juicy, red, and sweet ...I mean, what's not to love? And when they're chocolate-covered? Or with a fondue... mmm mmm good! But, in Special K cereal...well, the snozberries just don't taste like snozberries. They're a little bitter...I don't know how to describe it exactly. I like them, but then I don't. I can never decide. So I usually just decide to be lazy and eat them. Tonight I had this same dilemma; however, tonight I voiced my hesitancy and conflict to my younger 18-year-old brother. He actually agreed with me. No weird look. No crazy face. No eye-rolling. He agreed. I was pleasantly shocked. But, are we weird? And am I weird for spending so much thought on it? I mean, in the end I guess it doesn't matter if the snozberries taste like snozberries or the strawberries in Special K cereal taste like strawberries...
But it still bothers me!
much love.

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you and your family.

Beth

Scriptor Senex said...

Don't know how I found my way to your blog but I'm glad I did. Thinking of you and trusting that all will work out for the best.
P.S. loved the skies.
P.P.S. Never had strawberries in Special K and not sure the idea appeals!