Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Stranger

Where I live, there are several towns surrounding my "city". My "city" is the county seat and therefore considered the "city" for many people in our area. In reality, it's nothing more than about 203,955 people (as of July 2007)...although we apparently have a "metropolitan population (of) over 500,000 people". Still, generally speaking, it's the kind of city where everyone knows everyone, or-in the off chance that you don't know a person-they undoubtedly know your brother or a close friend. That's just how it works. It's the kind of place where-if you've lived here long enough-you can't go out (shopping, eating, or otherwise) without running into someone you know (or knew). And many times the towns surrounding my city intertwine socially, and it takes very little time to get from my city to another town (as long as you're on the ritgh side of the "city").
That said, about a month ago I was at work in one of our adjoining towns. I work with Autistic kids-behavior therapy-and sometimes have a school and/or home shift. That day, I started work in that other town at a school shift, then had a lunch break, then to that same client's home, and finally I ended my work day at the center in my "city". Typical Friday. Except, I was out of gas. I made the 45 minute drive (traffic, ugh) to this other town and realized that I'd have to get gas on my lunch. No problem. I finished my school shift, walk my client and his mom to their car to ensure that my client didn't throw a tantrum or have an inflexibility, and head to the nearest gas station. After I'd pulled up to the pump, I called my bank to see exactly how much money I had. I was expecting a balance of about $20-30. Not a lot, but enough to keep me going until my next pay check as I'd paid all my bills.

"Please enter your acount number."
******
"Please enter your pin number."
****
"You are now logged in. For check..."
1
"To get your..."
1
"Your account, with suffix ** is currently overdrawn $45. Please come to the bank and make a deposit immediately."
Crap.

I immediately discovered that I had spent $5 too much and had therefore incurred a $40 fee. Yikes! I scrambled for my wallet. No money at all. Nothing. Zilch. Nada....save for a $20 gift card to Target I'd gotten from my aunt as a late birthday gift. No help. Then the reality of it all hit me. I was about 45 minutes away from home and anybody who could possibly help me...with no gas and no money. I was freaking out...I mean, I was a total spaz.

*thinks*
'Ok, Michelle...calm yourself down.'
*prays*
'Alright.'
*goes inside and sees an employee (who turned out to be the manager)*
"Hello, ma'am. How're you doing today?"
"Um...well...uh...I'm doing...okay..."
"You don't sound too sure about that...is there anything I can help you with?"
"Well...actually..."

And I told the man my story. I think he must have had some trouble with overdrawn bank accounts before in his life; because, when I had finished he turned around to address the man working behind the counter and:

"Hey, Bob, you need a $20 gift card to Target for anything?"
"No..."
"Sure ya do. You got $20?"
"Not on me."
"Ok, I'll tell you what? We'll go 50/50 on this. $10 each. You can pay me back later."

And with that this man I'd never met before, this kind-hearted stranger, took out his wallet and handed me a $20 bill. He directed me to give both the gift card and the $20 bill to the guy at the counter. Then I walked out to my car, got some gas, and went back to work...slightly embarrassed and incredibly humbled by my oversight, this stranger's generosity, and God's faithfulness to take care of His own. Now, I don't really remember either of their names...but I think that's okay, don't you?

Writing prompt from: http://oneminutewriter.blogspot.com/2008/11/todays-writing-prompt-stranger.html


much love.

No comments: